The Southpaw

General Training Videos, MMA Training, Striking and Grappling Discussions!

Postby xoMatthieuxo » Jun 1. 2009, 23:36

stayinlow wrote:
xoMatthieuxo wrote:
Gogh wrote:i think its in general "tougher" to fight a lefty because most people are right handed and more than likely you train with more right handed people than you do left handed ppl

this holds true for a lot of sports. take tennis for example. most tennis players are right handed so when you serve the ball it spins a certain way. more than likely youve played more right handed players and are more use to seeing the ball spin that way instead of the lefty way. even ground strokes will spin slightly different depending on your left or right handedness

in professional bowling the right side of the lanes will wear out quicker than the left b'c there are usually more right handed bowlers on a single lane. im not a bowling expert ((i just heard this fact while i was surfing the tv lol)) but the people announcing the team bowling match said that the lefty bowler would have a slight advantage because of this

in baseball there is a slight advantage for the pitcher if you are the same hand as the batter and a slight disadvantage if youre the opposite

cant think of one for football or basketball but im sure they exist somewhere

in mma demian maia is left handed and it supposedly confuses a lot of people on the ground because left and right handed ppl tend to roll certain ways

/ramble off
Just because you are fight "southpaw" does'nt mean you are left handed!?... If you are right handed it puts your right that much closer to target? Thats just one example

As a rule though, if someone fights primarily/only in a southpaw stance they will be left handed
That's entirely absurd!!! I'm not being rude either!

xoMatthieuxo
FEATHERW. CHAMP
FEATHERW. CHAMP

Postby xoMatthieuxo » Jun 1. 2009, 23:38

timebomb wrote:strait right hand. all day all night.
Yeah and that counter is straight left all day!

xoMatthieuxo
FEATHERW. CHAMP
FEATHERW. CHAMP

Postby timebomb » Jun 2. 2009, 03:16

xoMatthieuxo wrote:

goes with out saying really. but if your not a natural lefty that shot may be weak.
Kongo will nut kick his way to becoming the heavy weight champion in 09.
timebomb
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby xoMatthieuxo » Jun 3. 2009, 10:27

timebomb wrote:
xoMatthieuxo wrote:

goes with out saying really. but if your not a natural lefty that shot may be weak.
Good point!
xoMatthieuxo
FEATHERW. CHAMP
FEATHERW. CHAMP

Postby yosemite sam » Jun 3. 2009, 13:34

xoMatthieuxo wrote:
timebomb wrote:
xoMatthieuxo wrote:

Good point!

Right uppercut, trust seen
yosemite sam
FEATHERW. CHAMP
FEATHERW. CHAMP

Postby xoMatthieuxo » Jun 4. 2009, 01:20

In boxing maybe but there several other options other than right or left hands

xoMatthieuxo
FEATHERW. CHAMP
FEATHERW. CHAMP

Postby wilrob » Jun 7. 2009, 18:09

timebomb wrote:
xoMatthieuxo wrote:

Good thing im a natural lefty and stay in southpaw, I guess when youve spent your whole life doin it just comes easily then if someone was tryin to learn how to box from a southpaw stance, like if i try a normal orthodox stance i just feel outta place and weird.
wilrob
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby honkeythunder » Jun 7. 2009, 18:14

there are a couple ways to beat the lefty. first, you have to cut his angles down by keeping your lead foot on the outside of their lead foot. this inhibits their movement and pretty much forces them to stay in your power-hand's (rear hand) range. a great way to do this is to throw tons of jabs and lead hooks while circling to your left. another nice trick is to mix in the right cross, right overhand, and right round kick during your barrage of lead hand strikes. fake cross to right round kick and superman punch (fake right round kick to right cross) work great. use a cut kick to their lead leg as soon as you see movement in their hips. hope these tips help. please note- beware the southpaw's lead hook, cross, and rear head kick. they are devastating!
honkeythunder
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby honkeythunder » Jun 7. 2009, 18:18

there are a couple ways to beat the lefty. first, you have to cut his angles down by keeping your lead foot on the outside of their lead foot. this inhibits their movement and pretty much forces them to stay in your power-hand's (rear hand) range. a great way to do this is to throw tons of jabs and lead hooks while circling to your left. another nice trick is to mix in the right cross, right overhand, and right round kick during your barrage of lead hand strikes. fake cross to right round kick and superman punch (fake right round kick to right cross) work great. use a cut kick to their lead leg as soon as you see movement in their hips. hope these tips help. please note- beware the southpaw's lead hook, cross, and rear head kick. they are devastating!
honkeythunder
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby mr92492 » Jun 11. 2009, 23:53

honkeythunder wrote:

Anything a orthodox fighter could do a southpaw could do.

mr92492
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby PrideFCfan » Oct 13. 2009, 08:41

what? thats utter bullcrap. i think its very difficult fighting a southpaw cause im sure people are use to fghting right handed or orthodox fighters
PrideFCfan
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby PooSmear » Oct 17. 2009, 03:10

I switch stances all the time so its good to practice with both... I switch when I kick of if I just wanna be tricky.
PooSmear
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Re: The Southpaw

Postby D-BO » Jan 18. 2010, 16:02

my leading hand is my right but i have a southpaw stance
i don't know why
is just comes naturally

i don't know if thats a problem or not
but people usually get confused when the strong shots are coming from the other direction
"Check yourself before you wreck yourself, big dicks in your ass are bad for your health! Stay Black cuz thats the most important thing" - Joey Diaz!
D-BO
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Re: The Southpaw

Postby Strieth » Jan 18. 2010, 17:03

Well, being a southpaw myself, I believe it's all about the footwork. In order to beat a Southpaw, you have to train with Southpaws. 'Nuff said.

Strieth
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

PreviousNext

Return to TRAINING VIDEOS & DISCUSSION

MMASHARE

Our mission is to give MMA fans the power to share and make the world more open and connected for Mixed Martial Arts!