Kusok!!!

General Training Videos, MMA Training, Striking and Grappling Discussions!

Kusok!!!

Postby jyakin » Oct 7. 2011, 16:17

You are the health and fitness guru in this site! I seek your wisdom!

I'm competing in the Abu Dhabi (Professional Jiu Jitsu) World Trials here in my home town of San Antonio. I lucked the f*ck out in having them come here of all places.

http://abudhabijiujitsuprotrial.homestead.com/SA-Home.html

Excusing today, I have exactly 49 days to drop to be comfortably within my optimum grappling weight. I MUST make it under 163 the night before the tournament. I am not losing water weight the night before and weighing in dehydrated the day I must compete. I figured if I needed your help I should come to you as early as humanly possible.

I realize you are a mod, and must be incredibly busy with your activities outside of the site alone. But if you find the time to shoot me some pointers, I would be most grateful :). I read through the sticky about losing excess fat, and will follow it as closely as possible, I'd still like to ask you for some of your opinions on my plans to go about doing it though!

-stats-

I'm currently
- 174.6 lbs/79.2 kg
- 5 ft 11 inches tall/180.3 cm
- body fat % is unknown atm, but i'll get purchase some calipers after work tonight and get back to you on this.

~~~

- I train/grapple a minimum of 3 times per week at about 2 hours per session
- I don't have a gym or heavy weights available to me (I saw it was important on the sticky :( ) but I do pull ups, crunches, and dips whenever possible here with a detachable pull up bar that mounts on a door frame.
-I'm relatively strong for my weight, and again I know body fat % may be a critical component for you to help me out.

~~~

My goal is to be comfortable and slightly below the 163 lb/73.9 kg by Nov 25th. I realize this is a tall order, but at my lightest, i've been around 152 lbs/68.9 kg.

My plan was to increase my water intake, increase the amount of times I train, reduce my caloric intake especially in the fats/carb department, and influence a stronger drive in my metabolism by eating something like 7 odd meals of baby carrots throughout the day.

Thanks for your time.

jyakin
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Location: In Brandao's corner, telling him that greatness lies but a few adjustments away...

Re: Kusok!!!

Postby mlchagas » Oct 7. 2011, 16:18

WAR JYAKIN!
斬捨御免!!! (kirisute gomen)

OSS!!!
mlchagas
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby PrideFCfan » Oct 7. 2011, 16:21

Oh f*ck! That's awesome bro, upload some f*cking videos.
"At the end of the day, I don’t give a crap who’s taking what. The steroids are not going to help them when I hit them. Take as much as you like, I don’t care." - Mark Hunt
PrideFCfan
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby Predator225 » Oct 7. 2011, 16:36

yeah, we want a Jyakin training camp vlog. and good luck with the camp and the tournament.
"Woe to you O earth and sea
for the Devil sends the beast with wrath because he knows the time is short
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast
for it is a human number
it's number is six hundred and sixty six."
Predator225
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby jyakin » Oct 7. 2011, 17:10

I love you guys :)

Thank u 4 the support!!!
jyakin
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Location: In Brandao's corner, telling him that greatness lies but a few adjustments away...

Postby kusok » Oct 7. 2011, 23:11

Looks like you gotta lose 1.7lbs weekly. That is a bit tough for non-fat people, but doable. First 2 weeks you will obviously lose some water weight and still feel fairly strong, but the danger is that you might be a bit weak by the end of your cut.

This is why athletes usually prefer to cut a few lbs, even very little, like ~5lbs 24 hours before weigh-ins.
Because if you dieted for 7 weeks it places 7 weeks worth of toll on your body, no matter how you slice it, after dieting for 7 weeks you will be 7-weeks catabolic. It takes a while to get back all your strength and hormonal levels. So perhaps you may consider a compromise where you would drop a little bit now, and then a little bit before weight-ins. Another idea that comes to mind is to drop 2 lbs weekly for 6 weeks, and then bump up the calories a little bit last week so that you would take a break from dieting, and regain some strength.

During caloric deficit activity such as training should go DOWN in volume, not up. Because your recovery is compromised. For example, on a bulk many experienced people lift 4x per week, but on a cut 3x. And they reduce number of sets per workout, sometimes by 66%
So, watch out for over-training. If you're losing strength on a cut (usually happens after about 4-5 weeks, first 1-2 weeks you might even get stronger) it means you should cut back on volume and cardio (aka increase recovery)

We can't spike metabolism by eating more often, that myth has long been put to rest. But if you prefer you can eat more often, or if you do more than one training session per day, then you may want something to eat in between your sessions, for better recovery of course.

I recommend obviously that you count daily calories, and keep protein minimum at 1g/lb and fat at minimum 0.4g/lb, fill the rest of daily calories with whatever you want, but active individuals tend to do better with more carbs. Listen to your body, if you're craving fatty foods (olive oil, butter, cheese, hotdogs, burgers) your body may be telling you that it likes more fat. And if you find yourself drained in the gym, flat looking and craving sugar (bread, candy, cake, honey, fruit) your body is telling you you may need more carbs.

Finally for a serious athlete like yourself some supplements can help stimulate you and help your body burn fat faster. You should VERY carefully check what is allowed (if there is testing), but here are fat burning supps that DO work and have been proven to work in peer reviewed trials on athletes:

scroll down to fat loss:
http://www.leangains.com/2010/01/supplements-you-might-actually-find_09.html

If you got no equipment, you can also do single leg squats, one arm push-ups, box jumps, planks, glute ham raise, and shoulder press upside down (feet against wall), be careful with this exercise! And with single leg squats, make sure to warm up well and not ever feel anything funny in the knees, start slow if you haven't done this before, start by holding on to something, or sitting back in a chair or a couch etc.

Check out Lyle's 3-part series on fat loss for athletes, this is famous stuff:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fat-loss-for-athletes-part-1.html

Lyle is a bit biased towards high protein intake, but he is still probably the best at this whole fat loss and performance stuff.

kusok
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby jyakin » Oct 7. 2011, 23:43

Kusok, brother, I can't thank you enough for your help. Seriously compadre. Thank you.

You have given me much to think about.

I guess cutting 5 lbs of water weight the night before for the weigh-ins won't affect my performance that much. Keeping as much of my strength and endurance as possible is the primary goal, second only to making weight.

Its a shame metabolism cant be spiked by increasing the amount of times you eat throughout the day. As far as increasing the amount of fluids I take in like water and using protein shakes as meal replacements, what should be my goal as far as % goes 60% liquid 40% solid? Forgive the question if it doesn't make the slightest difference...Increasing water intake by itself is a good thing though right?

I've actually never tried fat loss supplements...hmm..... I'll have to look into it. If it will give me an edge in terms of facilitating fat loss without any funky side effects, i'm game.

Thanks for your speedy and very thorough response friend. :)
jyakin
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby jojoclown777 » Oct 8. 2011, 00:06

Once you're inevitably in, you need to have MMASHARE sponsor you!
jojoclown777
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby jyakin » Oct 8. 2011, 13:31

That would be pretty tight, I'd wear an "MMASHARE" patch on my gi with pride.
jyakin
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby kusok » Oct 9. 2011, 10:06

jyakin wrote:Kusok, brother, I can't thank you enough for your help. Seriously compadre. Thank you.

You have given me much to think about.

I guess cutting 5 lbs of water weight the night before for the weigh-ins won't affect my performance that much. Keeping as much of my strength and endurance as possible is the primary goal, second only to making weight.

Its a shame metabolism cant be spiked by increasing the amount of times you eat throughout the day. As far as increasing the amount of fluids I take in like water and using protein shakes as meal replacements, what should be my goal as far as % goes 60% liquid 40% solid? Forgive the question if it doesn't make the slightest difference...Increasing water intake by itself is a good thing though right?

I've actually never tried fat loss supplements...hmm..... I'll have to look into it. If it will give me an edge in terms of facilitating fat loss without any funky side effects, i'm game.

Thanks for your speedy and very thorough response friend. :)

The rule athletes use is to have at least 5 CLEAR urinations per day, this would mean you're sufficiently hydrated. The yellow ones from vitamins don't count.

It's ok to get up to half of your protein from shakes. But 2 things to keep in mind is: real food has more micronutritional density (vitamins/minerals) so ideally one should aim to eat as much solid whole foods as possible. Also, in a caloric deficit you'll be a bit hungry, and solid food is more satiating than liquid.

kusok
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby PrideFCfan » Oct 11. 2011, 19:30

jyakin wrote:That would be pretty tight, I'd wear an "MMASHARE" patch on my gi with pride.

I don't know...I mean what if Dana White finds out about this forum? :lol:
"At the end of the day, I don’t give a crap who’s taking what. The steroids are not going to help them when I hit them. Take as much as you like, I don’t care." - Mark Hunt
PrideFCfan
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Return to TRAINING VIDEOS & DISCUSSION

MMASHARE

Our mission is to give MMA fans the power to share and make the world more open and connected for Mixed Martial Arts!