An Inspriational story,boy with downs syndrome has mma fight

MMA SHARE Fight Videos, Free UFC Videos, Interviews, Highlights, Weigh-Ins, Previews,... EMBED or link to ORIGINAL MMA VIDEO URL ONLY! next: UFC 175 LIVE STREAM with WEIDMAN vs MACHIDA Fight Video!

Re: An Inspriational story,boy with downs syndrome has mma fight

Postby MikeyMuayThai420 » Mar 26. 2013, 23:46

after actually getting to watch the video it changed my whole view on it, that guy fought but didnt look to just run through him and I can respect that.
Garrets a tough kid and he's got a hell of heart thats awesome he found Martial Arts as his outlet, hope he keeps at it

User avatar
MikeyMuayThai420
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Nov 11. 2012, 21:10
Location: 209

Re: An Inspriational story,boy with downs syndrome has mma fight

Postby EmptyHand » Mar 27. 2013, 00:56

MikeyMuayThai420 wrote:after actually getting to watch the video it changed my whole view on it, that guy fought but didnt look to just run through him and I can respect that.
Garrets a tough kid and he's got a hell of heart thats awesome he found Martial Arts as his outlet, hope he keeps at it


Yes, he let him feel what it's like getting punched and taken down, but he held back and took it easy on him, point blank. No way Garrett can compete for real. I too, hope Garrett continues with martial arts, and I hope his parents are responsible enough to do right by him, for the good of his health and life, and not exploit him in any way.

User avatar
EmptyHand
mmashare hof
mmashare hof
 
Posts: 3962
Joined: Jul 26. 2009, 22:00

Re: An Inspriational story,boy with downs syndrome has mma fight

Postby gyllespie » Mar 27. 2013, 01:33

I say let him go as far as he wants. He could get hurt or killed but that applies to everyone in MMA. I honestly don't see him going very far anyway. If and when he loses or hits a wall he'll realize it's best to quit and do something else. They key is to give him an opportunity and let him learn for himself. Sure, MMA is dangerous and violent but overall handlers do a very good job at making sure serious, life threatening injuries don't occur.
gyllespie
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
 
Posts: 748
Joined: Jan 15. 2010, 01:03

Re: An Inspriational story,boy with downs syndrome has mma fight

Postby EmptyHand » Mar 27. 2013, 01:58

gyllespie wrote:I say let him go as far as he wants. He could get hurt or killed but that applies to everyone in MMA. I honestly don't see him going very far anyway. If and when he loses or hits a wall he'll realize it's best to quit and do something else. They key is to give him an opportunity and let him learn for himself. Sure, MMA is dangerous and violent but overall handlers do a very good job at making sure serious, life threatening injuries don't occur.


As far as he wants? How thick are you? Seriously!

He is mentally retarded. He has the mentality of a child. He needs responsible adults to do the reasoning for him. if it were up to him, he could die, because he doesn't know any better. Would you let your 7-9 year old child go as far as he wants until he is dead, or badly hurt, especially if you know he can't go far anyway, because he wants it? Pure idiocy.

Further, He does not have a normal body, normal mental acuity, or reflexes. He has severe arthritis. People with Down Syndrome also tend to have heart problems. Their physical brains are nowhere near as plastic or resilient. And there are more complications than that. Yet, you say it's OK for him to get kicked in his limbs, punched in his head, and slammed to the ground. Holy shit.

It takes experts to understand what he needs--responsible professionals looking out for his best interests and health.

I beg you, PLEASE: THINK, do some homework, learn about his condition, and f*cking lean towards his person's best interests in an informed manner before you f*cking comment.

I hope his parents aren't as thick as you, but given his father's rhetoric, I fear I might be wrong. I do hope he's not serious, and it's all hype-talk for 15 minutes of fame.

Shameful either way, as far as I'm concerned.
User avatar
EmptyHand
mmashare hof
mmashare hof
 
Posts: 3962
Joined: Jul 26. 2009, 22:00

Re: An Inspriational story,boy with downs syndrome has mma fight

Postby gyllespie » Mar 27. 2013, 02:32

EmptyHand wrote:
gyllespie wrote:I say let him go as far as he wants. He could get hurt or killed but that applies to everyone in MMA. I honestly don't see him going very far anyway. If and when he loses or hits a wall he'll realize it's best to quit and do something else. They key is to give him an opportunity and let him learn for himself. Sure, MMA is dangerous and violent but overall handlers do a very good job at making sure serious, life threatening injuries don't occur.


As far as he wants? How thick are you? Seriously!

He is mentally retarded. He has the mentality of a child. He needs responsible adults to do the reasoning for him. if it were up to him, he could die, because he doesn't know any better. Would you let your 7-9 year old child go as far as he wants until he is dead, or badly hurt, especially if you know he can't go far anyway, because he wants it? Pure idiocy.

Further, He does not have a normal body, normal mental acuity, or reflexes. He has severe arthritis. People with Down Syndrome also tend to have heart problems. Their physical brains are nowhere near as plastic or resilient. And there are more complications than that. Yet, you say it's OK for him to get kicked in his limbs, punched in his head, and slammed to the ground. Holy shit.

It takes experts to understand what he needs--responsible professionals looking out for his best interests and health.

I beg you, PLEASE: THINK, do some homework, learn about his condition, and f*cking lean towards his person's best interests in an informed manner before you f*cking comment.

I hope his parents aren't as thick as you, but given his father's rhetoric, I fear I might be wrong. I do hope he's not serious, and it's all hype-talk for 15 minutes of fame.

Shameful either way, as far as I'm concerned.


Yeah, because we're all supposed to listen to you and do things your way, Einstein. Like I said, he's not going very far anyway. Anybody with half a brain knows this. Once he loses a match or two, his parents will force him to retire. Simple as that. No need to throw all that medical bullshit on me. It's irrelevant. Besides, there's not a damn thing YOU can do to prevent others from doing what they want. And I love it. Watch and learn. Or ignore and bitch all day in your sad little world. Either way is fine with me.
gyllespie
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
 
Posts: 748
Joined: Jan 15. 2010, 01:03

Re: An Inspriational story,boy with downs syndrome has mma fight

Postby Sasori » Mar 27. 2013, 02:34

The medical part is not irrelevangt, not only does people with Downs syndrome have a greatly increased health risk compared to the general population, they also have an increased risk for dementia. I am all for people following their dreams but if the regular Joe knew of these risks and had his mind matured to an adult he would probably think more then twice before he went into a demanding sport like MMA with the risk of being punched in the head repeatedly.
This might be shaving years of his life as a functional human being which also statistically is greatly decreased due to Downs syndrome. It's not just one side to this coin.

User avatar
Sasori
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP
 
Posts: 34663
Joined: Jun 2. 2014, 05:58

Re: An Inspriational story,boy with downs syndrome has mma fight

Postby Lucky » Mar 27. 2013, 02:45

He accomplished his goal of competing and that should be the end of his story inside of the cage. Now he can teach and coach other special people like himself and children at the gym.
User avatar
Lucky
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP
 
Posts: 10105
Joined: Jun 2. 2014, 05:58

Re: An Inspriational story,boy with downs syndrome has mma fight

Postby Randos » Mar 27. 2013, 06:09

kinda unfair for the other guys since he has dat der retard strength

on the serious note though, he seems like a cool kid; he looked good in teaching kids and his buddy, i'd rather see him do that than fighting.
User avatar
Randos
LIGHTW. CHAMP
LIGHTW. CHAMP
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Jan 17. 2010, 06:15

Re: An Inspriational story,boy with downs syndrome has mma fight

Postby Floyduss » Mar 27. 2013, 06:46

Cool post chem. I was a little apprehensive when the video started aswell. I had no idea what to expect but he grew on me. He just wanted to fight even when he knew he was disadvantaged. I wasn't sure what to think of the guys who are fighting him, it's really a lose-lose situation for them as far as their careers go but I can fully respect their choice to give this guy a go to chase his dream.

Sas has pointed out interesting facts and I wander if he will continue to fight even with such health problems he may face, but then again, this guy has nothing to lose, only his parents who are continuing to care for him with his disabilities enhanced would feel the full impact. Loved how his old man purchased the gym and has him coaching kids. What a bloke. I hope that hard shot he took when the bell rang is enough proof that he's a man to himself ( It really was a hard shot much respect! ) and that he can settle down into a instructing career.
'I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.' - Mike Tyson

http://www.nookro.com

Facebook-
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nookrocom/1416286725323240?ref=hl
User avatar
Floyduss
CRI President
CRI President
 
Posts: 11412
Joined: Oct 10. 2009, 18:57
Location: AV Bet record: 14-10

Re: An Inspriational story,boy with downs syndrome has mma fight

Postby elviss » Mar 27. 2013, 07:39

This is a wonderful and inspirational story about pursuing your dreams, following your heart and putting in tremendous work. I think some people on the thread found it necessary to debate over should he be allowed to do this or not. I don't think his training was ever meant to be anything than doing that one thing one time and having the feeling of being an an actual sanctioned competition. Actual competition is a pinnacle for many people who are training and have this desire to "step in the cage". I think his goal is to do it, not keep doing it and have a career of it. I also doubt (but can be proved otherwise by a smart google link) any promotion would seriously consider a longer term engagement with an athlete with this kind of disability. Nor was it ever mentioned by his legal guardians that it was ever the plan.

This was a goal he has set, he has reached. And now, he can stay in the world he likes (training, coaching, etc.) knowing that he has also stepped in the real world that one time when he was not treated as a person with disabilities. Albeit one could question the determination and motivation of the other guy.

Thats the entire point, thats why he did it. He proved something to himself... And now, he can be a super hero of his gym and live a productive (or rewarding for him to be more precise) life through learning and teaching martial arts...

And that is all there is too it...

elviss
LIGHTW. CHAMP
LIGHTW. CHAMP
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Sep 24. 2010, 08:33
Location: ...

Re: An Inspriational story,boy with downs syndrome has mma fight

Postby the_seeker » Mar 27. 2013, 08:00

damn onions...
respect
the_seeker
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Oct 23. 2007, 05:41

Re: An Inspriational story,boy with downs syndrome has mma fight

Postby tre loucks » Mar 28. 2013, 08:53

just proves you can do anything if you put your mind to it. a great example of what hard work and dedication gets you.
i have nothing but respect for this guy. and big ups to bonnar. great post man.
silence is golden,but duct tape is silver
av bets 5-5
av betting retired by MDF
User avatar
tre loucks
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP
 
Posts: 5256
Joined: Sep 8. 2008, 22:11

Re: An Inspriational story,boy with downs syndrome has mma fight

Postby chemicalmc » Mar 28. 2013, 11:35

thanks guys, yeah i thought it was an interesting story, and good points by sasori as well,

though i just think if they held him back it would give him even more of a complex than he had already to begin with,

i know its not the best thing for him by any means, but then again

if he feels fulfilled, then it must be worth the risk in some way
I represent MMA UK as a Manager, (www.facebook.com/mixedmartialartsuk) Creative newswriter and blogger for Fightstore Pro (www.fightstorepro.co.uk) MMA Outsiders - MMA Pocket as an administrator (www.mmaoutsiders.ga (www.facebook.com/mmapocket)
User avatar
chemicalmc
mmashare hof
mmashare hof
 
Posts: 3455
Joined: Sep 25. 2010, 03:48
Location: Sleeping on a triangle ;)

Re: An Inspriational story,boy with downs syndrome has mma fight

Postby Sasori » Mar 28. 2013, 14:46

Yes the lack so self fulfillment is a big hit for many, I agree with LuckyRob's take though, hes done it, hes been there and now he doesn't have to prove it again, he can stop taking huge risks and go on being proud of his achievement.

User avatar
Sasori
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP
 
Posts: 34663
Joined: Jun 2. 2014, 05:58

PreviousNext

Return to SERIOUS MMA VIDEOS 3.6

MMASHARE

Our mission is to give MMA fans the power to share and make the world more open and connected for Mixed Martial Arts! MMA Forum, UFC Live Streaming and MMA Fight Videos!