Single Greatest Year in MMA

Here you can write a detailed article on any MMA subject. Share MMA NEWS from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, MMAjunkie, ...

Re: Single Greatest Year in MMA

Postby SakuEar » Feb 20. 2012, 04:32

Latrodectus wrote:
jojoclown777 wrote:
Latrodectus wrote:Oops sorry 1993

"reading title and answering it fail".

WHO not which.

:?:

he was giving you a smart ass remark- the OP was asking for the single greatest year for a fighter, not the single greatest year for mma.
SakuEar
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby ToughGuy » Feb 20. 2012, 09:31

SakuEar wrote:
ToughGuy wrote:I have to agree. Rampage is still closer to the top of the division than he is to the middle, which is why he was given title shot in the first place. But he's nowhere close as good as he has been in his Pride years. Shogun's 2005 Pride GP run was much more impressive IMO.

id like to know who he thinks had a better year. and come on- shoguns 2005 run? ricardo arona, rampage, lil nog and lil reem is NOT more impressive than finishing ryan bader, SUBMITTING rampage- do i have to tell you the only other man who has done that feat? SUBMITTING a bjj blackbelt in lyoto machida, and absolutely obliterating the man in question- shogun rua. its the most impressive year for a fighter in mma history, hands down.

Lol yeah it is, by far actually. These 4 wins happened over the course of 4 months, in fact semifinals and finals happened on the same day. He KTFO'd all his opponents in the first round except for one including Overeem, Rampage and Arona who just defeated his teammate Wandy. The only guy he did not knock out was a fight of the year against Lil Nog who was undefeated at Pride back then and got through Hendo to get to that spot. All 4 fighters were legends in their prime at the time he fought them. Also, these 4 are not his only victories of that year.

Jones opposition: 1) Bader, really? The guy lost to retiring Tito. 2)Submitted rampage. ok. Saku did it before easily, and Rampage has not been Ko'd in UFC yet, while Shogun did it with ease when he was in his prime. Do i need to tell you only other person who KO'd rampage? Not to mention Rampage's chin is much better than his ability to grapple 3)Machida. Well, this one was quite impressive, however in my eyes and in the eyes of 1 judge he lost 1st round. Shogun gave no doubt about the winner in all his fights except for the one with Lil not, and unlike that one, Machida's fight was far from fight of the year. 4)Shogun himself. His most impressive victory by far as no one has thrown shogun around before. I still think shogun did not come 100% into that fight and is currently little past his prime, however still one of 2 people capable of beating Jones (Hendo being the other one).

Overall I see 2 impressive victories for Jones and 4 for Shogun. All 4 in the best LHW tournament there has ever been, all 4 over the span of 4 month when he did not have 4 months to prepare for each fight.

ToughGuy
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby SakuEar » Feb 20. 2012, 18:43

ToughGuy wrote:
SakuEar wrote:
ToughGuy wrote:I have to agree. Rampage is still closer to the top of the division than he is to the middle, which is why he was given title shot in the first place. But he's nowhere close as good as he has been in his Pride years. Shogun's 2005 Pride GP run was much more impressive IMO.

id like to know who he thinks had a better year. and come on- shoguns 2005 run? ricardo arona, rampage, lil nog and lil reem is NOT more impressive than finishing ryan bader, SUBMITTING rampage- do i have to tell you the only other man who has done that feat? SUBMITTING a bjj blackbelt in lyoto machida, and absolutely obliterating the man in question- shogun rua. its the most impressive year for a fighter in mma history, hands down.

Lol yeah it is, by far actually. These 4 wins happened over the course of 4 months, in fact semifinals and finals happened on the same day. He KTFO'd all his opponents in the first round except for one including Overeem, Rampage and Arona who just defeated his teammate Wandy. The only guy he did not knock out was a fight of the year against Lil Nog who was undefeated at Pride back then and got through Hendo to get to that spot. All 4 fighters were legends in their prime at the time he fought them. Also, these 4 are not his only victories of that year.

Jones opposition: 1) Bader, really? The guy lost to retiring Tito. 2)Submitted rampage. ok. Saku did it before easily, and Rampage has not been Ko'd in UFC yet, while Shogun did it with ease when he was in his prime. Do i need to tell you only other person who KO'd rampage? Not to mention Rampage's chin is much better than his ability to grapple 3)Machida. Well, this one was quite impressive, however in my eyes and in the eyes of 1 judge he lost 1st round. Shogun gave no doubt about the winner in all his fights except for the one with Lil not, and unlike that one, Machida's fight was far from fight of the year. 4)Shogun himself. His most impressive victory by far as no one has thrown shogun around before. I still think shogun did not come 100% into that fight and is currently little past his prime, however still one of 2 people capable of beating Jones (Hendo being the other one).

Overall I see 2 impressive victories for Jones and 4 for Shogun. All 4 in the best LHW tournament there has ever been, all 4 over the span of 4 month when he did not have 4 months to prepare for each fight.

welll thats your opinion, but to say that shogun was more impressive is ridiculous. arona and lil nog arent even CLOSE to rampage, shogun and machida, so for me i see 4 impressive wins for jones and 2 impressive wins for shogun, although i dont like to discredit wins, how can you say shoguns is more impressive? it makes no sense!
SakuEar
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby smoke-em » Feb 20. 2012, 22:15

Easy 2005
In extreme situations the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue natural justice. This is not vengeance revenge is not a valid motive it's an emotional response No not vengeance Punishment
smoke-em
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby poolxxxshark » Feb 22. 2012, 01:55

SakuEar wrote:
taratada wrote:Can't bother to look it up but one thing that compares is people winning the pride tournaments. Particularly fedor, if he won it over a calendar year it should be considered even greater because it would in Fedor AND in Pride.

um. no. he FINISHED ryan bader, shogun, machida, and rampage, 3 of those guys are consensus greatest LHWs of all time! thats the best year for a fighter ever. hands down.

Bader is still un proven ,an old dusty tito ortiz finished him, shogun is good but after multiple knee surgeries he isnt what he used to be, Machida was a big win , and Rampage is at the end of his career, way past his prime and a very easy win . So yes He beat some big names but in reality Machida and Rua were the only high quality wins.

From April of 2004 until august 2005 Fedor beat Mark Coleman, Kevin Randalman,Naoya Ogawa,Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira,Tsuyoshi Kohsaka and Mirko "cro cop" Filipović 3 ufc champions , he also won the Russian Sambo championship in kstovo and a world sambo championship in Prague in 2005.....BEST YEAR EVER
°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°'°º¤ø,¸þØØ£x×x§H®K`·.¸¸.·´´¯'··._.·~²º¹²~O.o°
poolxxxshark
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby SakuEar » Feb 22. 2012, 01:59

actually that is 2 real ufc champions one interim. and more than a year. dont discredit rampage, and BTW shogun was champ when jones dethroned him. so jones beat 3 ACTUAL champions, better than fedors year and 5 months.

SakuEar
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby Haineko » Feb 22. 2012, 08:08

#1 2011
#2 2005

:)
'Dont be scared homie' is his tagline.
I stole it, its mine now.
Haineko
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby Brn0utb0b » Feb 22. 2012, 11:32

Bones definetly had a great year last year. I think the best year for a single fighter though is Royce Gracie in 1994. He defeated 8 guys in 2 events. All his opponents were much bigger than him (no weight classes)
Brn0utb0b
LIGHTW. CHAMP
LIGHTW. CHAMP

Postby traeblack » Feb 22. 2012, 12:49

Brn0utb0b wrote:Bones definetly had a great year last year. I think the best year for a single fighter though is Royce Gracie in 1994. He defeated 8 guys in 2 events. All his opponents were much bigger than him (no weight classes)

Also, they didnt know what BJJ was, or what it even meant to get submitted. Beating bums with no knowledge will never trump destroying 3 of the best 205ers in the world.
traeblack
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby Sonic » Feb 22. 2012, 13:30

Undoubtably, and he think he is a proper dick head.

"I was in public office and I left public office the only way a person should, in handcuffs." - Chael Sonnen
Sonic
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby Gogh » Feb 23. 2012, 01:59

kazushi fucking sakuraba in 2000 (sakuraba is about 175lbs)

guy mezger (205+lbs) - ufc tournament winner, his coach ken sham. actually forfeitted mezger after 15mins
royce gracie - this was a fight to the finish, no judges. lasted 90 minutes, royce quit :shock:
igor fucking vovchanchyn (220-230lbs) - he lost this fight but fought him the same night AFTER the royce fight...
renzo gracie - subbed him by breaking his arm
shannon ritch - not impressive
ryan gracie - decision win over a noob to mma

beating a bigger guy mezger, breaking renzo's arm, making royce quit and stepping into the ring with a much bigger igor fucking vovchanchyn (like 50lbs bigger) after fighting royce gracie for 90 minutes > 2011 bones. bones had a great year last year but what sakuraba did in 2000 is on a mythical scale

if you want to make it a fiscal year then you can add two more wins to this list, one of them being over royler gracie
----------------
jeremy horn went 20-1 in 1999 :shock:
----------------
bas rutten in 1995 went 7-0 with wins over maurice smith (twice), jason delucia, minoru suzuki, and frank shamrock
----------------
wanderlei silva from august 2003 to august 2004 beat sakuraba, yoshida, rampage, minowa, and kondo. if you extend the time by two months to october 2004 then you can add another rampage beating to the list
Last edited by Gogh on Feb 23. 2012, 02:31, edited 6 times in total.
based on skill set, jose aldo is the best p4p fighter in the world

"It’s a sport. Back in the UFC, when I was doing the UFC, when I was doing Pride, it was a fight. Now it’s a sport." - don frye
Gogh
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby SakuEar » Feb 23. 2012, 02:06

not gonna argue that one. 8)
SakuEar
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby Walt » Feb 23. 2012, 02:21

SakuEar wrote:
ToughGuy wrote:
SakuEar wrote:wow discrediting rampage. wooow. :roll:

I have to agree. Rampage is still closer to the top of the division than he is to the middle, which is why he was given title shot in the first place. But he's nowhere close as good as he has been in his Pride years. Shogun's 2005 Pride GP run was much more impressive IMO.

right on the head Saku!
I predict that Daniel Cormier will be the UFC LHW Champion in 2015.
Walt
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby Gogh » Feb 23. 2012, 03:58

i want to add to sakuraba's year in 2000 and make it into a modern day comparison

guy mezger had a good 30lbs on sakuraba and was a ufc tournment winner. so this would be almost like bones fighting mir cain or carwin for 15minutes and either going to a draw or their manager calling it quits. this isnt the best comparison because bones is only one weight class lower than mir cain or carwin while sakuraba was two weight classes lower than mezger using today's weight classes. a better comparison would probably be gsp fighting rashad, machida, or forrest for 15minutes and going to a draw or manager forfeit

fighting royce gracie for 90 minutes then fighting igor has no real modern day comparison but ill try my best. it would be like gsp fighting matt hughes or another legendary welterweight for 90 minutes then gsp fighting jds for 15minutes in the same night. keep in mind that rounds were 15minutes long, not 5minutes like today's mma. sakuraba went one full round with igor after his epic fight with royce before he had to throw in the towel due to exhaustion

breaking renzo's arm is well...like breaking a gracie's arm...do we really need a comparison here?

defeating royler gracie is like anderson silva fighting maia and avoiding the ground at all costs. but imagine if anderson decided to play on the ground with maia in the last couple minutes of the fight and getting maia in a very deep kimura lock :shock: thats what sakuraba actually did to royler

Last edited by Gogh on Feb 23. 2012, 04:42, edited 4 times in total.
based on skill set, jose aldo is the best p4p fighter in the world

"It’s a sport. Back in the UFC, when I was doing the UFC, when I was doing Pride, it was a fight. Now it’s a sport." - don frye
Gogh
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

PreviousNext

Return to MMA NEWS & Your Own Articles

MMASHARE

Our mission is to give MMA fans the power to share and make the world more open and connected for Mixed Martial Arts! MMA Forum, UFC Live Streaming and MMA Fight Videos!