4 Reasons why Nick Diaz will be GSP's toughest opponent

Create opinion topics, Prediction/Recap Videos and share mma news from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, MMAjunkie, Bloodyelbow, ...

4 Reasons why Nick Diaz will be GSP's toughest opponent

Postby NickDiaz209 » Jan 6. 2013, 02:08

At UFC 158, Georges St-Pierre will be defending his UFC Welterweight title for his 10th consecutive time. Opposite to him in the cage will be former Strikeforce Welterweight Champion Nick Diaz. GSP has been undefeated since 2007 and has only lost twice in his entire 11 year career. Will Nick Diaz be able to defy the odds and become the new UFC Welterweight champion?

Here are 4 reasons why Nick Diaz will be GSP's toughest challenger;

1. The Active Gaurd of Nick Diaz

Nick Diaz is an elite No-GI BJJ practitioner in the Welterweight division. Has been practicing BJJ for almost 14 years and is one of a small handful of BJJ Blackbelts under Cesar Gracie. He took the US Purple Belt Open in 2004 and the Pan American Brown Belt Medium Weight Division Title in 2005. He has finished 9 of his 22 finishes with a submission in MMA and is 1 of only 3 people to successfully land a gogoplata in an MMA match.

Nick Diaz is no stranger from fighting off his back and from his gaurd. He is very comfortable from the bottom and actively attempts submissions. His long limbs and flexibility aid him well from his gaurd.

Here is Nick at the age of 19 against Blaine Tyler showcasing a plethora of submission attempts and controlling the grappling from the bottom.
ImageImage

Full fight link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eilxHoT8rvw

Nick Diaz submitting Mach Sakurai with an armbar from the bottom.

Nick's flip into armbar finish on Santos.

Nicks infamous Gogoplata on Gomi.

Nick methodically sinking into Scott Smith with a RNC.

Nick's Kimura finish on Josh Neer.

Nick controlling the grappling and throwing out sub attempts from the bottom against Joe Riggs.
ImageImage

Nick transitioning from a kimura into an armbar against Muhsin Corbbrey.

Nick controlling the grappling and attempting sub's and sweeps against Sean Sherk.
ImageImageImage

GSP is very good at controlling his opponent from the top position, being aggresssive and landing shots while attempting to improve his position and look for sub attempts. It will be very interesting to see the match up of Diaz's gaurd against GSP's top game. Nick Diaz can very well pull off a submission victory in the bout.

2. Nick Diaz's Iron Man Endurance and Stamina

Through out Nick's MMA career, he has only been finished once. Jeremy Jackson KO'd Diaz back in 2002 when he was only 19. since then he avenged the loss against Jackson both in the rematch and the rubbermatch with finishes coming from TKO and Submission. Nick's chin has been continually tested and from what we can tell, it has been forged from diamond. He has taken punches that have Knocked him down from known KO artists such as Marius Zaromskis,Takanori Gomi, and Paul Daley (twice) and was able to come back stronger and finish them. He also actively competes in triathlons, duathlons and xterra mountain biking courses. He is able to confidently press the action for 5 rounds going 100% and not gas out. Diaz has said, "Fighters are afraid of conditioning, they are afraid of getting tired, but I don’t want to have anxiety or be afraid of anything. I can go 100 percent out there and never have to worry about getting tired. Everybody says fighting is 90 percent mental, and it’s true. Knowing you can go 15 minutes or 25 minutes without any problem can help you sustain that mental advantage over your opponent...". His combination of endurance and stamina is unrivaled and a large part to his success in both BJJ and MMA.

It's pretty safe to say that GSP will not be able to Knock out Nick Diaz. Alongside with GSP's trending decision victories, it points towards the fight going the distance, which only improves Diaz's chances to finish the later the fight goes.

3. Nick Diaz's Boxing and Clinch

Nick Diaz has been training boxing with his Boxing coach Richard Perez since 2004. Since 2004 his stand up has gotten exponentially better with each fight and has amassed 9 finishes by (T)KO after picking up the new skill set. He trains and spars with former WBA and WBC World Champion Luisito Espinosa and Olympic Boxing Gold Medalist Andre Ward. Andre has commented on Diaz's boxing stating "“I appreciate and admire [Diaz’s] courage,Nick has good hands, some of the best hands in MMA.”

His ability to push an unmatched pace, with volume punching leading his combinations off from jabs with help use his long range and gauge his accuracy has been unmatched. His mix up's of power and body and head combinations are deadly. His most underrated aspect of his stand up is his clinch and dirty boxing. If Nick senses he is in danger up close, he clinches well to avoid power shots, pushes his opponent against the cage, controls them and uses a variety of different strikes ranging from shoulder strikes, knees, elbows, ripping body combos and even the occasional hiptoss.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

4. He Aint No Bitch

Last edited by NickDiaz209 on Jan 6. 2013, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.
Carlos conduit
NickDiaz209
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Re: 4 Reasons why Nick Diaz will be GSP's toughest opponent

Postby JDavey » Jan 6. 2013, 03:10

1. BJ Penn had an active guard.
2. GSP has had 7 fights go to championship rounds and in each round he looked fresher then his opponent. Diaz has been to championship rounds in 2 fights and he lost one of those.
3. If only this fight was going to be fought on the feet and GSP was going to stand there flatfooted and trade punches with Diaz :roll:
4. Too bad not being a bitch doesn't make champions out of fighters who are going to be completely outclassed.

Bottom line: Diaz can't stand fighting wrestlers, he is yet to beat one really decent MMA wrestler across his career and the majority of his losses come via those type of fighters via a decision. GSP is a top tier wrestler who can easily grind an opponent for five rounds. I give Diaz a punchers chance.

Last edited by JDavey on Jan 6. 2013, 03:13, edited 1 time in total.
Erick Silva bandwagon driver.
JDavey
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby mmayhem » Jan 6. 2013, 03:11

Good post. Solid points. He probably is GSP's toughest opponent since prime Hughes. He's probably got the best combination of Jiu Jitsu and stand up ability in the welterweight division. I'm betting on him to win because I always root for Nick but I'm 70% sure GSP will beat him to a decision. But anything can happen in MMA. Specially with a guy like Diaz whos so dangerous everywhere.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin
CRI 78 winner
CRI 73 Winner
UFC on FOX 6 Invitational Winner.
mmayhem
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby Fr4gge » Jan 6. 2013, 03:17

Diaz is a big threat to GSP but in all likelyhood GSP will get some takedowns and keep Diaz on the ground most of the fight. He will not be backed up into the cage like most people do against Diaz
Fr4gge
FEATHERW. CHAMP
FEATHERW. CHAMP

Postby breakneck777 » Jan 6. 2013, 03:22

GSP wins by decision or Diaz finishes him with a sub off his back or clips him with a shot and lets the combos fly. GSPs fight to lose but hoping Diaz can catch him
breakneck777
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby johnirish74 » Jan 6. 2013, 03:25

WOW all that effort just to advertise your a delusional fan boy lol.

Condit was a great test and Diaz is going to get hammered like his brother but if there was a head butting a brick wall contest he wins hands down ;-).
GSP 80% win

2-0 to Silva and owned. Have a big cry and move on to project your hate onto something else ;-).
Why not hate Bisping hes foreign lol.
Dana killed the card not JJ responsibility and im sure he was not told that before he turned down the joke fight.
johnirish74
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby jontsu » Jan 6. 2013, 03:26

thanks for the effort.
Favorite fighters: 1. Diaz bros 2. Übereem 3. Mousasi 4. Rory 5. Others
jontsu
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby MMAccount » Jan 6. 2013, 03:32

4 Reasons why Nick Diaz will be GSP's easiest opponent:

1. Compared to GSP's takedowns Diaz' takedown defense sucks.
2. Nick Diaz' volume punches hardly have any KO power.
3. GSP's ability to close the distance, strike and get out will work wonders against Diaz' static boxing style.
4. Diaz is easy to frustrate and has problems adapting his gameplan against point fighters, as seen in his fight against Condit.
MMAccount
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby ToughGuy » Jan 6. 2013, 03:49

Great effort. I agree that on paper, Nick is the toughest test for GSP. In a way he resembles young BJ, except with better cardio and longer reach. Can't wait for the fight.

Out of 7 responses above me (not counting OP), 3/7 resorted to pure bashing. One more time I convince myself that Nick is by far the most hated guy in MMA, on this web site at least.
ToughGuy
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby C0br4Br0s » Jan 6. 2013, 04:06

Theres only one reason why diaz will lose.
1. Gsp called him out and gsp never calls you out.

C0br4Br0s
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby unmapped » Jan 6. 2013, 05:21

MMAccount wrote:
4. Diaz is easy to frustrate and has problems adapting his gameplan against point fighters, as seen in his fight against Condit.

:cry: :cry:
unmapped
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby MMAccount » Jan 6. 2013, 08:03

ToughGuy wrote:Great effort. I agree that on paper, Nick is the toughest test for GSP. In a way he resembles young BJ, except with better cardio and longer reach. Can't wait for the fight.

Out of 7 responses above me (not counting OP), 3/7 resorted to pure bashing. One more time I convince myself that Nick is by far the most hated guy in MMA, on this web site at least.

I don't hate Diaz. I just don't think he will beat GSP. Stylistically GSP is the worst possible matchup for him.
MMAccount
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby Dendra » Jan 6. 2013, 08:12

MMAccount wrote:I don't hate Diaz. I just don't think he will beat GSP. Stylistically GSP is the worst possible matchup for him.

But also Diaz has the highest chances of all fighters in the division to win against GSP because he can submit him and TKO him. If it was in Pride, Diaz would be the favorite but with the UFC's rules and judging...

One thing that gives me hope is that GSP was utterly scared of going to the ground with Shields (I think he hyped himself into believing he is fighting a monster grappler, not to say Shields doesn't have a unique and dangerous ground game but still...). Since Diaz isn't any worse, if not even better than Shields on the ground, I wonder if GSP will rather try to keep the fight standing and win with jabs all night long.

In that case I wonder if he'll be able to keep the pace up because it's not the same to jab Koschek for five rounds and to jab Diaz who comes forward 24/7. If GSP gasses, he'll look for a takedown to catch his breath and that's when Diaz with his superior cardio could catch a tired GSP with some sickoplatatriangulata submission.
Real mean beats fake nice on any given day.
Dendra
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby jetpilotx » Jan 6. 2013, 08:30

I'm a fan of Diaz and been snarky with GSP's inability to finish fights.

But looking at this objectively:

1) GSP's top control > BJJ. His ground gameplan is centered on neutralizing any form of attack from the bottom while throwing non-committed punches to avoid getting stood up.
2) GSP also has endurance and stamina to keep pummeling Diaz's face on the canvas for 5 rounds.
3) GSP's exemplar wrestling skills overshadow his striking skills. His strikes are underrated and is one of the best in the division. Diaz has shown that his gameplan is to get in your face, taunt and unleash flurries of punches. GSP will easily take him out of his element considering Diaz has poor TDD.
4) Ain't no bitch? What kind of reasoning is that? That's not going to stop GSP from doing whatever he wants to do with Diaz.

Prediction: GSP wins via decision.
Or is it still a prediction?

Freethinking - you're doing it wrong!
jetpilotx
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Next

Return to MMA DISCUSSION 3.5

MMASHARE

Our mission is to give MMA fans the power to share and make the world more open and connected for Mixed Martial Arts! MMA Forum, UFC Live Streaming and MMA Fight Videos!