What's next for GSP?

Create opinion topics, Prediction/Recap Videos and share mma news from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, MMAjunkie, Bloodyelbow, ...

What's next for GSP?

Postby bindaveo » Jul 13. 2009, 08:26

Even though he has nearly cleared out the division with the exception of a few up and comers what do y'all think should be the next fight the UFC puts together for this dude?

He is one of my fave fighters but i still think that giving him to Anderson may be a little much. Anderson moved up and had a warm up fight in the higher weight class when he was in the same position. Silva is soo good that his opponents look amateur. GSP's fights are still somewhat of a challenge at least, it's not like he's toying with anybody.

Who is a good middle weight gate keeper type that he could face first? Hendo? Leben? McFedries?

bindaveo
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby freeindeed » Jul 13. 2009, 08:35

Wandelei!

freeindeed
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby Virus » Jul 13. 2009, 08:46

The only thing I see for him is a possible rematch with Fitch, that or a move up to middleweight to fight Anderson... I dunno who else he could face in his own division who is relevant or he hasn't beat.
Virus
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby Sasori » Jul 13. 2009, 08:48

If he wasnt injured id say that he was toying with alves al fight long and he would probably have landed a sub from the bottom but he didnt get to go 100% all the match. Im guessing the original plan was to wear Alves down and then smash him up or submit him at the end but the injury got in the way. Next? There is no next for GSP in WW. MW is closest but i dont see him beating Silva but if he bulks up a bit more he could go dominate other middle weights
Sasori
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby freeindeed » Jul 13. 2009, 09:03

On the commentary Joe Silva said the winner of Swick vs Kampmann
freeindeed
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby el magico » Jul 13. 2009, 09:05

I would like to see swick vs GSP I reckon swick would definitely have at least a punchers chance

el magico
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby JDavey » Jul 13. 2009, 13:52

el magico wrote:I would like to see swick vs GSP I reckon swick would definitely have at least a punchers chance

Thats what alves had, that turned out well.
JDavey
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby The Black Dragon » Jul 13. 2009, 14:19

I don't see Swick doing any better than Alves did, if anything he'd do worse. Alves is a much more accomplished ground fighter and he looked like a fish out of water with GSP on top of him.

I give a lot of respect to Alves for his class after the fight and the fact that he made it all 5 rounds with George. He also managed to get up (eventually) from every take down GSP got on him. That's pretty impressive.

In the end, Thiago was completely outclassed, but he fought a hard fight and I doubt theres many other WW's right now that could take him. A rematch with Fitch seems like it would be the most challenging, since Fitch got GSP pretty good in their first meeting. Still, I have to go with what everyone else wants to see: GSP vs The Spider. It's gonna be f*cking furious. The most perfect wrestling and ground control in UFC vs the most perfectly technical and precise striking in UFC. Hell yeah.
The Black Dragon
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby Coach Rich » Jul 13. 2009, 15:45

I don't think anyone is unbeatable. We've already witnessed GSP getting caught by Serra. But what's most important is that the champ defends the belt, and that the challenger who earns a title shot is given one. Right now, I think:

Swick, Kampmann, Conditt, or Hardy could make for a good fight. Also I believe that Fitch and Kos have improved from their losses to GSP and I'd also like to see Alves learn from his loss, fight a few more times and then rematch. GSP said it himself that he learned allot from his loss to Hughes and came back much stronger as a result.

Also there are a few young guys on my radar like Hathoway, Johnson, and Hazlett who could become very formidable in the coming years.
Coach Rich
Drunken old fart
Drunken old fart

Postby FinnishCraig3 » Jul 13. 2009, 16:05

Coach Rich wrote:I don't think anyone is unbeatable. We've already witnessed GSP getting caught by Serra. But what's most important is that the champ defends the belt, and that the challenger who earns a title shot is given one. Right now, I think:

Swick, Kampmann, Conditt, or Hardy could make for a good fight. Also I believe that Fitch and Kos have improved from their losses to GSP and I'd also like to see Alves learn from his loss, fight a few more times and then rematch. GSP said it himself that he learned allot from his loss to Hughes and came back much stronger as a result.

Also there are a few young guys on my radar like Hathoway, Johnson, and Hazlett who could become very formidable in the coming years.

Yea I think Johnson could be real good, but he not ready yet. Hazlett has sick subs from what appears to be any position. Then again, Penn's BJJ is world class also.

GSP vs. W.Silva that would be a nice warm up match and not an easy one. I would have to say, I think GSP would take it though. Wany's Career seems to be coming to a close to me. :( He has just been hit in the face too much. Not enough blocking.

FinnishCraig3
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby roosterbrews » Jul 13. 2009, 16:15

GSP is ripped but he only cuts 15lbs so could he go down in weight. I think he has no chance what so ever against anderson. The dude walks around at 220 and has real power so there is no point but it would be great so see him take a shot at bj's belt but I don't know if he can make the cut.
roosterbrews
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby seasnailforce » Jul 13. 2009, 16:38

GSP needs to move up. A great opponent for him to face at middleweight would be wanderlei or meia.
seasnailforce
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby bannedcity » Jul 13. 2009, 16:52

Hopefully Mike Prick Swick, it will be awesome to watch him get molested by GSP.

But on the flip side, not Mike Prick Swick, because if he pulled a Matt Serra it would be worse than I can actually put into words.
bannedcity

Postby GSPdominates » Jul 13. 2009, 16:53

I would love to see how Shields would do against GSP.

I have mad respect for Kampmann, he is a true warrior and has unbelievable talent and ability. Swick will not get past him. He could really make an interesting matchup for GSP.

And then afterwards, GSP could probably run for President.

GSPdominates
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Next

Return to MMA DISCUSSION 2.9

MMASHARE

Our mission is to give MMA fans the power to share and make the world more open and connected for Mixed Martial Arts!