Lyoto Machida on fighting Jon Jones: “I’m ready”

Create opinion topics, Prediction/Recap Videos and share mma news from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, MMAjunkie, Bloodyelbow, ...

Re: Lyoto Machida on fighting Jon Jones: “I’m ready”

Postby KrazyBee » May 31. 2011, 14:53

ayfo84 wrote:He soooooo does not deserve a title shot. Coming off two losses he KOs Couture and hes number one contender? No.I doubt hell get the shot anyway. UFC wants Bones to go mainstream, and they know Machida is a tough matchup

edit: Im cool with him getting a shot since I'm a fan, but thats completely unfair

He beat Rampage.

Head to the Striking forum and check out:

"Jimmy Wilde - The Art of Boxing"

AND

"Boxing Tactics of Foreign Masters - K. V. Gradopolov"
KrazyBee
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby KrazyBee » May 31. 2011, 14:56

AndersonIsGod wrote:Shogun was supposed to be the guy that ended Jones' hype remember?? :lol: I just want to know who ya'll think is next in line to be the "savior" to beat Jones, once Jones beats Lyoto into submission.

Lyoto's whole style, is based on leaping forward to counter attack. This will be the longest distance he'll ever have to leap forward shouldnt be a problem for him :| And yeah, although he got robbed in the Rampage fight, how good was he in dealing with being held against the cage?? Jones will get him in that position, trip takedown...GNP...rinse and repeat. No doubt about it :lol:

Pinning him against the cage could work sure.

But the reach really doesn't matter one bit. You realise that he fights from outside everyone's reach. His natural fighting distance would be outside of Struve's reach. The distance won't be different because of Bones' reach. If Lyoto's style was to stay on the end of a guy's reach you'd have a point, but he fights 2 - 3 ft away from a guy to force them to take a step.

His whole style revolves around getting guys to close that distance and intercepting them with a knee or short cross. Given Jones' love of running and guys and jumping in with kicks I can see that working out well on the feet.

Now Rampage, a great wrestler traditionally, is no NCAA champion, but he spent the WHOLE match trying to keep Lyoto against the cage and get takedowns, and it really didn't work well.

AND

KrazyBee
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby AndersonIsGod » May 31. 2011, 15:07

KrazyBee wrote:
But the reach really doesn't matter one bit. You realise that he fights from outside everyone's reach. His natural fighting distance would be outside of Struve's reach. The distance won't be different because of Bones' reach. If Lyoto's style was to stay on the end of a guy's reach you'd have a point, but he fights 2 - 3 ft away from a guy to force them to take a step.

1) Bones would have to make a much smaller step in, compared to other fighters Machida has faced.

2) Even if he fought from Struve's distance, he'd still have to leap in like he always does, when he goes on the attack (rarely) .Reach may not play a factor for most opponents, but this is a huge Reach we're talking about.....Rua practically had to run a marathon to reach Jones, and he has a longer reach than Machida. :lol:

His whole style revolves around getting guys to close that distance and intercepting them with a knee or short cross. Given Jones' love of running and guys and jumping in with kicks I can see that working out well on the feet.

Agreed. He's a counter attacker and Jone's wild style might play into that. One thing to note is it's alot different counter attacking something totally unorthodox.

Now Rampage, a great wrestler traditionally, is no NCAA champion, but he spent the WHOLE match trying to keep Lyoto against the cage and get takedowns, and it really didn't work well.

It worked enough to get a bullshit decision. I dont think Jones is a better wrestler than Rampage...all i'm saying is if he gets Lyoto in the same position Rampage did, it's going to be a whole lot tougher than just standing there ...Jones is going to take him down with ease.
AndersonIsGod
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Location: Fedor's House , watching Lesnar fights and laughing.

Postby ayfo84 » May 31. 2011, 15:16

KrazyBee wrote:
ayfo84 wrote:He soooooo does not deserve a title shot. Coming off two losses he KOs Couture and hes number one contender? No.I doubt hell get the shot anyway. UFC wants Bones to go mainstream, and they know Machida is a tough matchup

edit: Im cool with him getting a shot since I'm a fan, but thats completely unfair

He beat Rampage.

Okay, his questionable loss to Rampage is cancelled out by his questionable win over Shogun
ayfo84
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby KrazyBee » May 31. 2011, 15:34

ayfo84 wrote:
KrazyBee wrote:

He beat Rampage.

Okay, his questionable loss to Rampage is cancelled out by his questionable win over Shogun

Haha true.

It's a shame Rampage still has questionable wins over Lindland, Bustamante, Ninja and Hendo :lol:

AND

KrazyBee
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby traeblack » May 31. 2011, 15:39

mrdragonfly1234 wrote:
traeblack wrote:i would love to see Bones walk thru Machida....

That's what everyone can easily predict and think.

Every now and then something unpredictable and strange happens, right ? It could be on this one or not !! You just can't be certain, though ! :lol: :lol: I believe that odds favorable for Jones is bigger.

im good with predictions man, i predicted Rampage would beat Machida in a hard fought split decision, i predicted Werdum would submit Fedor in the first round with a triangle, and i predicted Bones would make Shogun tap to strikes.....i cant lose lol

traeblack
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby AndersonIsGod » May 31. 2011, 15:42

traeblack wrote:
mrdragonfly1234 wrote:

Every now and then something unpredictable and strange happens, right ? It could be on this one or not !! You just can't be certain, though ! :lol: :lol: I believe that odds favorable for Jones is bigger.

im good with predictions man, i predicted Rampage would beat Machida in a hard fought split decision, i predicted Werdum would submit Fedor in the first round with a triangle, and i predicted Bones would make Shogun tap to strikes.....i cant lose lol

I need proof for that :shock:
AndersonIsGod
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Location: Fedor's House , watching Lesnar fights and laughing.

Postby Sasori » May 31. 2011, 15:43

traeblack wrote:
mrdragonfly1234 wrote:

So you make no bad predictions? :P
Sasori
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby ComebackKID323 » May 31. 2011, 15:44

traeblack wrote:
mrdragonfly1234 wrote:

Liar
Last edited by ComebackKID323 on May 31. 2011, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
Kenny Florian future UFC HOF'er. Deal with it kiddos.

My thoughts are final so dont even bother arguing with me. Fuck how you feel.
ComebackKID323
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Location: laughing at the morons who believe in that zombie invasion crap. hahaha

Postby Manny Fresh! » May 31. 2011, 15:44

traeblack wrote:
mrdragonfly1234 wrote:

Even though your hard fought split decision was a technicality, aside from your long string of losses resulting in Sexy Rashad Avs, your predictions have been astonishingly correct.

- CRI XX1 Champ.
Manny Fresh!
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby traeblack » May 31. 2011, 15:46

lmfao f*ck you! i been doin good with avatar bets as of late, real good lol
traeblack
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby juziel » May 31. 2011, 16:08

Jones' fight with Shogun worked perfectly because Jones had his biggest streghth where Shogun had his major weaknesses, like wrestling. If Jones didn't have such a great wrestling advantage, Shogun wouldn't be so bothered by the reach disadvantage (Overeem and Diabate).

Machida will show vastly superior takedown defense, a whole lot better foot movement (as in Couture caught him just once in the clinch, in a full round) and will have many trips to use if trapped against the cage (judo background).

Always comparing to Shogun, Machida won't have a big punch (maybe a good knee to the body) and I think Machida won't have a ground game as good as Shogun (Shogun's BJJ didn't work against Jones, but I think it had more to do with Jones' strenghth and weight rather than with Shogun's lack of technique).

Machida would still be the underdog, for sure, but other than Rampage, please throw any names you think might actually have a real shot at Jones...

:roll:
juziel
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby mmashare-one » May 31. 2011, 16:10

traeblack wrote:lmfao f*ck you! i been doin good with avatar bets as of late, real good lol

I am predicting Rampage goes near Hollywood and marry a new girl then gets charged with domestic violence and be broke by 50 and write his autobiography. :lol:
signature
mmashare-one
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby mmayhem » May 31. 2011, 17:07

I dont see him beating Jones at all, Jones will close the distance with the huge reach advantage. Machide will run out of back tracking space hit that fence and get fucked up from 3 feet away. Expect Jones to unload all those crazy kicks and spinning fists and shit. Or maybe even take machida down and f*ck him up for a while.

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin
CRI 78 winner
CRI 73 Winner
UFC on FOX 6 Invitational Winner.
mmayhem
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

PreviousNext

Return to MMA DISCUSSION 2.7

MMASHARE

Our mission is to give MMA fans the power to share and make the world more open and connected for Mixed Martial Arts!