Cain Velasquez gets his BJJ black belt

Create opinion topics, Prediction/Recap Videos and share mma news from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, MMAjunkie, Bloodyelbow, ...

Cain Velasquez gets his BJJ black belt

Postby jitsubr » Oct 4. 2013, 11:56

In addition to being a UFC champion and NCAA Division 1 wrestler, Cain Velasquez is now a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt.

The American Kickboxing Academy standout was awarded his black belt recently by Leandro Viera.

video:
http://www.graciemag.com/2013/10/video-ufc-champ-cain-velasquez-gets-his-bjj-black-belt/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=video-ufc-champ-cain-velasquez-gets-his-bjj-black-belt

jitsubr
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Re: Cain Velasquez gets his BJJ black belt

Postby PrideFCfan » Oct 4. 2013, 12:00

Who gave him his belt? Dave Camarillo?

"At the end of the day, I don’t give a crap who’s taking what. The steroids are not going to help them when I hit them. Take as much as you like, I don’t care." - Mark Hunt
PrideFCfan
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby angst » Oct 4. 2013, 12:05

good for him. the dude must be formidable.
one thing i dont get with heavyweight bjj practitioners is how they get awarded belts. ill use C V as an example but by no means mean to discredit him. hes a big guy with a very strong wrestling base, but when is that deserving of a belt upgrade and when is it on bjj merits.
full credit to velasquez however and as he received his from leandro viera, it is legit no question
angst
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby YoungKimbo312 » Oct 4. 2013, 12:39

Cain is pretty damn good on the ground. I don't think many people thought Mir could sub him when they fought and that says a lot. He's gotten the mount a lot of times in fights
YoungKimbo312
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby ohhmyGAT » Oct 4. 2013, 12:45

YoungKimbo312 wrote:Cain is pretty damn good on the ground. I don't think many people thought Mir could sub him when they fought and that says a lot. He's gotten the mount a lot of times in fights

They never fought?
ohhmyGAT
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby Dendra » Oct 4. 2013, 14:35

PrideFCfan wrote:Who gave him his belt? Dave Camarillo?

First thing that came to my mind, well actually first thought was "shit just got real". But seriously, it's a bit fishy that he got his black belt so close to fight vs JDS who said that he needs to rely on his BJJ more - point being it smells a bit like a marketing trick to make JDS camp believe Cain is a BJJ threat on the ground and/or capable of neutralizing JDS' offensive BJJ easier than they would've thought had he not been black belt going into the fight.

On the other hand - nobody has better wrestling than Cain in MMA. The dude manhandled Brock Lesnar who was so physically dominant and scary that everybody said he was too big for Cain, etc. until Cain proved that a smaller wrestler can win with superior skills (and Brock was a pretty high caliber wrestler, hence many thought it was an impossible combo of size and skill for others to beat).

Cain's control on the ground is excellent and his camp has excellent BJJ practitioners, so based on Cain's work ethic and the environment he trains in, it's not that surprising that he is a black belt already - keep in mind that there are black belts and then there are black belts - you don't have to be strong in every aspect to be a black belt, so we don't know how good is Cain's BJJ overall.

Real mean beats fake nice on any given day.
Dendra
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby gto364 » Oct 4. 2013, 15:13

can he at least use his bjj now? That's my only gripe with Cain, he never tries any subs.

I'm tired of yelling at the tv anytime Cain has a nice rear naked choke open for the taking
"When you see Anderson fight from the outside, you have no idea of how quick he is” - Forrest Griffin
gto364
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby Dendra » Oct 4. 2013, 15:24

gto364 wrote:can he at least use his bjj now? That's my only gripe with Cain, he never tries any subs.

I'm tired of yelling at the tv anytime Cain has a nice rear naked choke open for the taking

Haha, whenever he tried those rear naked chokes he looked like a turtle trying to climb on a ball and hug it only to fall off and figure fk it, I'm just gonna slap this btch to hell - GnPs opponent into oblivion.
Real mean beats fake nice on any given day.
Dendra
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby PrideFCfan » Oct 4. 2013, 16:12

gto364 wrote:can he at least use his bjj now? That's my only gripe with Cain, he never tries any subs.

He prefers punching the shit out of people. Fedor did as well. No big deal really, I like seeing Cain punch people over and over until they give up.
"At the end of the day, I don’t give a crap who’s taking what. The steroids are not going to help them when I hit them. Take as much as you like, I don’t care." - Mark Hunt
PrideFCfan
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby gto364 » Oct 4. 2013, 19:17

PrideFCfan wrote:

He prefers punching the shit out of people. Fedor did as well. No big deal really, I like seeing Cain punch people over and over until they give up.

But he could've easily subbed JDS, had a finish and maybe even sub of the night. A finish is always better than a decision.

"When you see Anderson fight from the outside, you have no idea of how quick he is” - Forrest Griffin
gto364
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby engl » Oct 5. 2013, 05:30

surely he wanted to know all about what happends vs a bjj fighter, as part of his trainin, but his wrestring and gnp is devastatin, no need to do all bjj stuff.
engl
LIGHTW. CHAMP
LIGHTW. CHAMP

Postby tlaloczint » Oct 5. 2013, 10:00

engl wrote:surely he wanted to know all about what happends vs a bjj fighter, as part of his trainin, but his wrestring and gnp is devastatin, no need to do all bjj stuff.

I agree with you and also maybe he doesn't feel as comfortable going for the sub, and ending up like minotauro if he's punching the crap out of someone, why go for RNC and ended up on the bottom with guard. Better to keep on top and keep doing what its working. Underestimating the other people ground game is a risky factor.
Ask matt mitrione. Nogueira, and Fedor for a example of underestimating someone ability in the ground game.
tlaloczint
BANTAMW. CHAMP
BANTAMW. CHAMP

Postby KackalackKid » Oct 6. 2013, 12:10

Cain is a f*cking animal!! Congrats big guy
--------------------------------------
“Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own." -Bruce Lee
--------------------------------
KackalackKid
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby plasma » Oct 6. 2013, 18:13

MATT BROWN, PEETIS, MOUSASI, BARAO, GUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS,

glover > jones

AV bets 4-4 (updated Feb 2 self reminder)
plasma
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Next

Return to MMA DISCUSSION 2.6

MMASHARE

Our mission is to give MMA fans the power to share and make the world more open and connected for Mixed Martial Arts!