Joe Rogan: Marijuana is a PED

Create opinion topics, Prediction/Recap Videos and share mma news from Sherdog, Cagepotato, MMAmania, MMAfighting, Yahoo Sports, MMAjunkie, Bloodyelbow, ...

Re: Joe Rogan: Marijuana is a PED

Postby chaelwonclearly » Feb 17. 2012, 00:07

esofty8 wrote:I would like to hear Joe elaborate on this because he probably knows more about weed then everyone on this website... it just doesnt add up. There has to be some basis to this, something, hes a smart f*cking guy

theres a video on youtube or somewhere he talks about it i seen it a while back he says something like it helps him focus on his jiujitsu movements and gets him in the zone for jiujitsu

chaelwonclearly
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby jwest007 » Feb 17. 2012, 01:39

Why doesnt Rogan just ask B.J. dude does it all the time

jwest007
MIDDLEW. CHAMP
MIDDLEW. CHAMP

Postby Dutch Courage » Feb 17. 2012, 02:33

Sharky wrote:
PooSmear wrote:
Nycto Da 6'0 wrote:In that same interview, Joe said Adderal, an ADHD medication can also be viewed as a PED because it gives guys a mental edge.

:/ Joe is smoking too much weed... Adderall can actually be pretty physically damaging, it can make you lose muscle mass.

It could also be very effective for weight cutting if you keep your protein intake up.

Possibly, but only for people with high BMI, it's dexo-amfetamine so it gets your heartrate (metabolism) higher and that will burn fatt faster. For elite athletes though it wouldn't make much difference, they in general have low BMI. For them most short-term weightloss will be water..
Dutch Courage
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP
LIGHT HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby jojoclown777 » Feb 17. 2012, 02:51

Predator225 wrote:2.) kinda ridiculous how much shit a Stand-up comic gets for voicing his opinion.

Are you f*cking serious? How many stand-up comics are known to every MMA fan? How many stand-up comics get to call out referees on the spot for judgments? How many stand-up comics sway public opinion on mma on a daily basis? That stance is specious.

To quote Willy Thomas: If men define situations as real, they are real in their consequences.

You have a "stand-up comic" who has the ear of every influential person in MMA, as well as, realistically, policy makers, saying his "opinion" that marijuana is a PED. That will inevitably have some real life ramifications. Calling him out on it is completely justifiable. As some people (e.g., Shanks I believe) have argued here, Rogan isn't being the neutral guy he potentially should/could be. With that power comes responsibility (Spiderman, 2000). In terms of evidence, f*ck anecdotes: put up or shut up, Rogan.
Last edited by jojoclown777 on Feb 17. 2012, 03:46, edited 1 time in total.
jojoclown777
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby endynAD » Feb 17. 2012, 03:06

usually i dont disagree with joe alot but this.... how the hell can he say that and mean it. The only thing it increases is the happiness that particular moment. I dont know if thats very helpful to get the most out of your body.

Sure it contains chemicals that kind of "soothe" your brain in the way you perceive things, but in no way does it give you some sort of mental edge or physical edge. I just dont see it.
Know thy enemy
endynAD
HEAVYW. CHAMP
HEAVYW. CHAMP

Postby SakuEar » Feb 17. 2012, 03:21

because in his experience, pot is a PED, it affects everyone differently, so whos to say whether or not it helps or not you know?

SakuEar
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby Saash » Feb 17. 2012, 03:40

i use mary for now almost 16 years and everyday.I eat,sleeep,work,walk,train with mary.I like rogan diaz brothers a lot and i understund how they enjoy workout after smoking,cus u cant think so deep without mary like u think with mary :) you feel every detail and move,how ur blood boiling.It is all very helpful.But to reach that point...Mary most be long time with you so i know they use it loong loong time,thats whay they know how to handle mary work.Most of people cant smoke it and train or do something smart/work and etc.Thanks to mary i left all other drugs when i was younger,im not drinking alkohol last 5 years and have no problems in my life without alkochol ;) Just living in peace

Anyways respect rogan and diaz a lot (Y)
"The One Who Doesn't Fall.Doesn't Stand Up"
Saash
WELTERW. CHAMP
WELTERW. CHAMP

Postby gimmickboy » Feb 17. 2012, 03:42

It's already been said, but adderall is a stimulant, so anybody who says it's not PED's arguments are obviously invalid. eddie bravo, the diaz's and several other top BJJ practitioners have all said that marijuana helps them focus while grappling. when you smoke the right amount of marijuana you basically get tunnel vision and can have an extreme level awareness. michael phelps is also a well know weed-smoker and nobody thinks it handicaps his performance. Marijuana can actually increase your lung capacity and help improve cardio.
Beat me if you can, survive if I let you
gimmickboy
WELTERW. CHAMP
WELTERW. CHAMP

Postby jojoclown777 » Feb 17. 2012, 03:47

gimmickboy wrote:Marijuana can actually increase your lung capacity and help improve cardio.

Marijuana can also allow a person to see souls and/or time travel and fly.

EVIDENCE!
jojoclown777
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

Postby ElHefeNeuroso » Feb 17. 2012, 03:48

I`ve tried to do BJJ stoned...If anything I was slow and stupid....but...I DID NOT PERFORM BETTER!!! :koch

ElHefeNeuroso
FEATHERW. CHAMP
FEATHERW. CHAMP

Postby gimmickboy » Feb 17. 2012, 03:53

jojoclown777 wrote:
gimmickboy wrote:Marijuana can actually increase your lung capacity and help improve cardio.

Marijuana can also allow a person to see souls and/or time travel and fly.

EVIDENCE!

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/01/13/is-pot-good-for-lungs-new-marijuana-study-adds-to-health-effects-debate.html

EVIDENCE, or is a 20 year study not good enough for you?
Beat me if you can, survive if I let you
gimmickboy
WELTERW. CHAMP
WELTERW. CHAMP

Postby Sasori » Feb 17. 2012, 03:55

Had a lecture on addictive substances 2 days ago and the doctor there also stated that new science points towards weed having more carcinogens then cigarettes and that heavy pot smokers get lung cancer earlier.
Sasori
MMA CHAMP
MMA CHAMP

Postby jojoclown777 » Feb 17. 2012, 03:59

Actually, genius, no, it's not f*cking good enough for me. There are all sorts of f*cking explanations because this wasn't a controlled experiment. There may be a 1.6% difference, but is it statistically significant? As for weight issues, are they controlling for other drug use? Also, note this from YOUR article "6. One and a half times as many current marijuana smokers as nonsmokers have asthma." Does that sound like a lung benefit? Also, though I like Anneli Rufus, this article is biased.

Also from the article:

8. People who have inhaled marijuana within the last hour are nearly five times more likely to have heart attacks as people who have not inhaled marijuana in the last hour.

10. If you smoke marijuana, you’re inhaling three to five times as much hydrogen cyanide as you would inhale by smoking the same amount of tobacco.

11. People who smoke both tobacco and marijuana are three times more likely than nonsmokers to develop chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

EVIDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jojoclown777
mmashare hof
mmashare hof

PreviousNext

Return to MMA DISCUSSION 2.4

MMASHARE

Our mission is to give MMA fans the power to share and make the world more open and connected for Mixed Martial Arts!